There are many ways to make your house smell nice. The easiest method, of course, is to scatter reed diffusers and candles around your home. Not only do they fill a room with comforting aromas, but they can benefit your mental health too. Discover why and how to make you house smell nice.
Why Make Your House Smell Nice?
Making a room smell nice doesn’t just turn a house into a home, it can benefit your mental health too.
Smells stimulate the section of the brain that’s connected to memory and mood, while certain home fragrances can induce muscle relaxation, reduce anxiety and improve sleep.
- Lavender is proven to increase slow-wave sleep by helping to slow down the heart rate and relax muscles.
- Lemon promotes concentration and relaxation thanks to its calming and clarifying properties. This scent can also be beneficial if you’re feeling anxious or run-down.
- Peppermint and Rosemary promote concentration and memory retention, while helping to fight physical and mental fatigue – making them a great addition to your office if you’re working from home.
How To Make Your House Smell Nice With Reed Diffusers
Reed diffusers fill the home with a soft aroma, making a house smell nicer for longer.
How do reed diffusers work?
Reed diffusers are simple to use. The diffuser’s porous reeds soak up the scented oil and disperse its relaxing fragrance into the air, filling your home with your chosen scent.
What are the best reed diffusers?
To make you house smell nice, we recommend these atmospheric and relaxing diffusers:
- For the living room or bedroom: Our Luxury Oud Reed Diffuser opens with golden saffron top notes and has a white floral rose heart that rests on a decadent woody musk and sweet amber base. Offering a deeper fragrance, this reed diffuser works best in the living room or bedroom.
- For the kitchen: Our Signature Sanctuary Reed Diffuser opens with sparkling citrus accord, while the elegant floral heart contrasts beautifully with the oriental base wrapped in musky tones. Boasting a citrus fragrance, this diffuser is best suited to open areas, such as the kitchen.
- For the bathroom: Our Driftwood & Sea Spray Reed Diffuser opens with fresh beachside sage, while the salty and sweet citrus fruits settle on a driftwood base. Its fresh fragrance is perfect for a bathroom or toilet.
How to use a diffuser
When you’ve decided where the reed diffuser should be placed, remove the stopper from the vase and arrange the reeds to sit evenly in the oil so that the aromas are equally emitted around the room. To get the most out of a diffuser, turn each stem around until all the oil has gone.
Therapist’s Tip: If you’re struggling to remove the stopper, use the back of a spoon to slowly lift it out.
How To Make Your House Smell Nice With Candles
Candles are a great way to fill a room with your chosen fragrance. Typically, they have a fuller scent than reed diffusers and burn slowly to create a soothing atmosphere.
The best candles for your home
Candles are an easy way to bring the spa experience into your home. To create a relaxing atmosphere, we recommend:
- For the whole house: Our Signature Sanctuary Candle opens with sparkling citrus accord, while the elegant floral heart contrasts beautifully with the oriental base wrapped in musky tones. It makes every room a sanctuary!
- For the bedroom: Our Tri-Wick Candle opens with a sparkling citrus accord and an elegant floral heart, while the oriental base blends warm musky tones. Offering a deep, comforting fragrance, it’s perfect for the bedroom.
- For the office: Our Pink Grapefruit Candle fills a room with a zesty citrus fusion of grapefruit, twisted ripe orange blossom, and hints of floral gardenia and anise. It makes a great addition to a home office, as citrus fruit promotes concentration.
- For the bathroom: Our White Jasmine & Myrrh Candle opens with a sumptuous white jasmine heart, before its sweet oriental base of myrrh, vanilla and dark musk fills the bathroom with a relaxing scent.
- For the living room: Our Fig & Black Amber Candle opens with aromatic wild fig, fresh floral jasmine and spiced ginger, and ends with a touch of black amber, patchouli and cedar. It creates the ultimate calming atmosphere.
How to care for candles
To get the most out of your home fragrance, you need to look after your new candles. Here are our top tips on how to care for candles:
- Before its first burn, light the candle and leave it to burn for at least 2 hours until the surface has completely melted. This ensures that the wax melts evenly and the candle lasts longer.
- Before each lighting, trim the wick to 5mm to give the flame a clearer and brighter burn. This will help the candle last longer, as longer wicks burn faster.
- When burning, do not burn for more than 3 to 4 hours to prevent the candle from tunnelling or smoking out.
Now you know how to make your home smell nice, why not explore all of the home fragrances on our website?