As UV rays can cause long-lasting skin damage even when the sun isn’t shining, using sun protection should be a key step in your daily skincare routine all year round. We talk you through the benefits of sunscreen and how to prevent sun damaged skin.
The Benefits Of Sunscreen In Winter
UVA rays penetrate through clouds
The sun emits two types of UV rays: UVB and UVA. The first (often referred to as ‘short wave’ rays) affect the surface layer of the skin, causing redness and sunburn, but no permanent damage. The second (often referred to as ‘long wave’ rays) penetrate deep into the skin, causing damage at a cellular level.
UVA rays can cause premature ageing, dark spots and fine lines. They also penetrate through glass and cloud, damaging the skin all year round – even in Winter.
Long-term effects of sun damaged skin
To maintain healthy, youthful-looking skin, it’s essential to protect it from UVA rays, as sun damaged skin can lead to:
- Premature ageing: UVA rays can damage the levels of collagen and elastin in the skin (two proteins that are responsible for firmness and elasticity), causing the skin to sag and wrinkle.
- Lacklustre skin: Sun damage can slow cell renewal, leaving skin looking dull and lacklustre. These dead cells can also clog pores, causing blemishes and irritation.
- Dryness: Damage caused by UVA rays can reduce the level of fatty acids in cells, without which skin can’t stay hydrated or plump.
- Hyperpigmentation: Sun damage can also over-stimulate melanin production (the pigment that gives skin its colour), resulting in pigmentation and dark spots.
How To Prevent Sun Damaged Skin In Winter
To avoid sun damaged skin, ensure that your chosen SPF meets the below criteria:
- It’s broad spectrum: Unless you use a broad spectrum SPF, the sunscreen won’t protect skin from both UVB and UVA rays.
- It’s at least an SPF15: While we highly recommend using at least as SPF30 during the Summer, an SPF15 is sufficient in Winter.
- It’s an SPF moisturiser: Using an SPF-infused face cream every morning after cleansing and toning is the easiest way to protect skin from UV damage.
The Sanctuary Spa Protect and Illuminate SPF15 Moisture Lotion is a light face cream infused with an SPF complex. It boosts the skin’s natural defences and protects from sun damage. It also blends hydrating Shea Butter and brightening Pink Pomelo with Vitamins E and A to help refine texture, even skin tone and deliver a healthy-looking glow. Apply every morning after cleansing to keep skin feeling soft, smooth and moisturised.
As UVA rays can penetrate through clouds and glass, they can cause damage to skin all year round. Applying a sunscreen in Winter is the most effective way to prevent signs of premature ageing, such as dryness, hyperpigmentation and lacklustre skin.