Firming body lotion promises to remedy sagging skin and cellulite – but does it work? While there are no miracle formulas that reverse inevitable signs of ageing, some body butters do boast moisturising, toning, and firming ingredients that can make a visible difference to skin’s texture and overall appearance.
What Causes Skin To Sag?
After the age of thirty, the body naturally begins to produce less collagen and elastin, two proteins that are responsible for elasticity and firm skin. An increasing amount of cellulite (or small fat cell deposits) settles under the surface of the skin, causing it to sag and small dimples to appear.
Do Firming Creams Work?
It depends largely on your expectations. A firming body lotion can’t penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and re-organise the connective tissue to reverse the signs of ageing. However, using the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs can improve the look and feel of skin. Formulated with active and nourishing ingredients, body butter can:
- Boost collagen production to increase elasticity, making the skin more supple
- Break up fatty acids to reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Strengthen the epidermis, providing an instant tightening effect for firm skin
- Moisturise dry cells and improve the overall appearance of skin
Applying a firming body lotion every day will help skin to look plump, firm and evenly toned.
Top Tip: Massaging a firming body cream into the skin using upward circular motions will naturally increase blood flow and reduce toxins in the body. Over time, this will help to sculpt the skin, giving it a smooth appearance.
How To Firm Skin: Which Ingredients To Look For
Whether a skin tightening cream works or not is largely due to its formula. Here are some of the firming ingredients to look out for:
- Caffeine: By stimulating blood flow, Caffeine increases the oxygen levels in the skin, in turn increasing collagen production. It’s the perfect ingredient for promoting firmer and smoother-looking skin.
- Antioxidants: By fighting against free radicals and reducing inflammation, antioxidants help to prevent and improve visible signs of damage and ageing, including fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Peptides: Peptides (the building blocks of elastin and collagen) promote the production of these proteins to thicken skin and improve elasticity.
- Coconut, Cacao and Shea Butter: These rich, natural butters nourish the skin to make it appear firmer, plumper and healthier.
What Is The Best Body Firming Cream?
When it comes to finding the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs, we offer an array of body butters that will improve the skin’s appearance and texture.
Youth Boosting Firming Body Butter
A pampering blend of collagen-boosting Peptides, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, and Macadamia Nut Oil, this skin-tightening cream wraps the body in waves of skin-plumping, buttery goodness. Massage generously into skin to plump, firm and restore tone.
Ultra Rich Body Butter
Extra indulgent, this rich firming cream combines Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and Wheatgerm Oil to moisturise, nourish and restore the skin, leaving it feeling soft and replenished.
Rose Gold Radiance Shimmer Luxe Body Butter
Infused with a precious blend of oils, as well as Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and Caffeine, this decadent skin-tightening cream is the epitome of luxurious hydration. It moisturises the skin, leaving it soft and evenly-toned. Apply daily for firm, glowing skin.
Boasting a luscious formula of Shea and Cocoa Butter, as well as Sweet Almond and Macadamia Nut Oils, this body butter melts into the skin. It instantly nourishes, softens and smooths, keeping skin feeling hydrated for longer.
A firming body butter isn’t the only way to achieve plump, supple skin. Look for ingredients that moisturise, improve elasticity and boost collagen in moisturisers and face creams too. Applied diligently, they can support the appearance of toned, firm skin.