Want to learn how to know your skin type and how different skin types affect your skincare routine? Take our skin type tests and learn how to identify and treat dry, oily, combination, normal and sensitive skin.
Skin Type Test: How To Know Your Skin Type
Taking a skin type test is a great way to determine your skin type. With two to choose from, you can pick the one that works best for you, or even try both!
Blotting paper skin type test
The blotting paper test is one of the best ways to determine your skin type.
- Step 1: Gently pat a piece of blotting paper on the forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. Use a different sheet of paper for each part of the face.
- Step 2: Hold the sheets up to the light.
- Step 3: Study the results – If there is relatively little oil across all of the parts of the face tested, you have dry skin. If you find more oil on the forehead and nose area, you have normal or combination skin. If all the tests are saturated in oil, you have oily skin.
Bare-faced skin type test
Alternatively (or additionally), try the bare-faced test:
- Step 1: Cleanse the face with a mild cleanser and gently dry. Use no other skincare products, e.g. serums and moisturisers.
- Step 2: Leave for 30 minutes.
- Step 3: After 30 minutes check your results. If your nose and forehead are shiny, you have normal or combination skin. If there is a shine to your cheeks and chin too, you have oily skin. If your skin feels tight, you have dry skin.
1. Dry Skin Type
Characteristics of dry skin
The main features of dry skin are:
- Skin that feels tight, particularly when you smile.
- Itchy, rough or irritated skin.
- Skin that is sensitive to temperature changes.
How to get rid of dry skin on face
- Hydrate regularly – hydration is key for healthy skin, so always have a water bottle to hand.
- Look for hydrating ingredients – Jojoba and Almond Oil are excellent ingredients to look for in a moisturiser for dry skin.
- Moisturising face washes – some face washes strip away natural oils and dry out the skin. Try a hydrating cleanser for dry skin, like the Sanctuary Spa Moisture Burst Facial Wash.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic Acid binds to water molecules to leave skin looking hydrated and dewy. Try our Supercharged Hyaluronic Face and Neck Crème for a nourishing moisture boost.