From pollution and UV rays to stress and hormones, your skin is constantly subjected to elements that leave it feeling rough and dry. This, of course, is perfectly natural – but if you’d prefer to flaunt soft, radiant skin, keep reading. We explain how to get smooth skin with 4 simple tricks.
- Tip 1: exfoliate twice weekly
- Tip 2: cleanse with Jojoba Beads
- Tip 3: keep skin moisturised
- Tip 4: protect with SPF
What Causes Uneven Skin Texture?
You’re probably wondering ‘why is my skin bumpy?’. Uneven skin texture appears when dead cells build up, making the skin look and feel rough and uneven. It can be caused by:
- Dehydration: Dry, cracked and flaky patches lend skin a rough and uneven appearance.
- Natural ageing: As we age, the natural cell turnover process slows and dead cells accumulate, leaving skin looking uneven.
- Sun exposure: UV rays can damage the collagen fibres in skin, causing a loss in structure. The result? Sagginess, fine lines and wrinkles that make the skin feel uneven.
But don’t worry! We share our 4 top tips on how to get smooth skin below.
How To Get Smooth Skin
Tip 1: Exfoliate twice a week
An essential treatment for both the face and body, exfoliation is the easiest way to buff away dead skin cells, creating a smooth surface and improving the skin’s texture.
Twice a week, after cleansing and while skin is still wet, massage an exfoliator into the skin using upward circular motions. Pay particular attention to dry and dull areas. Then, rinse thoroughly with warm water and pat the skin dry.
Therapist’s Tip: Removing dead cells also allows hydrating product (like moisturisers, body lotions and body butters) to better penetrate the skin, further nourishing, softening and smoothing.
- Best Face Exfoliator: Our Sanctuary Spa Radiance Exfoliator blends exfoliating Apricot Seeds and revitalising Pineapple with skin-brightening Papaya and Pumpkin to exfoliate away dead cells, and reveal refined, refreshed and radiant-looking skin.
- Best Body Scrub: Our signature Body Scrub is infused with natural Pumice and Essential Oils to gently polish, smooth and refine, leaving skin feeling velvety-soft and looking radiant.
- Best Salt Scrub: Our iconic Salt Scrub is formulated with a sumptuous blend of Sea Salts and nourishing oils that gently buff and cleanse the skin.
Tip 2: Cleanse with Jojoba Beads
If a bi-weekly exfoliating treatment isn’t doing the trick, try cleansing with a Jojoba Bead-infused body and/or face wash. Made from hardened Jojoba Oil, these natural beads gently exfoliate, while melting into and nourishing the skin. They’re gentle enough for daily use, gradually softening and smoothing with each use.
Therapist’s Tip: Cleanse your face morning and night as the first step of your skincare routine, and wash your body once a day.
- Best Facial Cleanser: Our Moisture Burst Cleanser is infused with Jojoba Beads, moisturising Almond Oil and gentle cleansing actives to wash away makeup and impurities without stripping the skin’s natural oils. Skin feels cleansed, refreshed and soft.
- Best Body Wash: Blending Essential Oils with Jojoba Beads, our signature Sanctuary Spa Body Wash transforms from a silky shower gel into a delicately fragranced foam that cleanses, moisturises and smooths the skin.
Tip 3: Keep your skin moisturised
Rough and uneven skin is often the result of dry, cracked and flaky patches – particularly as dry skin struggles to shed its cells. Consequently, keeping skin hydrated will help to maintain a smooth texture.
Our recommendation? Use face and body moisturisers that contain emollients (like Shea and Cocoa Butters) to hydrate the skin surface and humectants (like Hyaluronic Acid) to help lock in moisture.
Therapist’s Tip: Apply moisturiser morning and night for long-lasting hydration and instantly smoother skin.
- Best Face Moisturiser: Our Supercharged Hyaluronic Acid Face Crème boasts a luxurious formula of nourishing Shea Butter, plumping Matrixyl Synthe’ 6™ and hydrating Hyaluronic Acid to provide an instant moisture boost that lasts up to 24 hours. Skin appears firmer, more hydrated and more youthful.
- Best Body Moisturiser: The quickest, easiest and most effective way to repair and relieve dry skin, our Wet Skin Moisture Miracle is a revolutionary body moisturiser that locks in 5 times more hydration than a regular lotion.
- Best Body Butter: Blending Wheatgerm Oil, Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter, our Ultra Rich Body Butter wraps skin a rich and creamy formula that softens, replenishes and restores very dry skin.
Related: How To Treat Dry Skin
Tip 4: Protect your skin
As sun damage can cause uneven texture and tone, we recommend using an SPF moisturiser to protect skin from UV rays and maintain a healthier, smoother-looking complexion.
Therapist’s Tip: Apply SPF to the face, neck and décolletage as the final step of your morning routine every day, and use sunscreen on the body when skin is exposed.
Best SPF moisturiser
To incorporate SPF into your daily skincare routine, try our SPF Moisturiser. Formulated with hydrating Shea Butter, radiance-enhancing Pink Pomelo and Vitamins A & E, this SPF15 moisturiser protects from UV rays, while promoting an even skin tone, refining skin’s texture and reducing the appearance of fine lines, for a fresh and healthy glow.
Discover exactly what exfoliation is, how it benefits the skin, and how to exfoliate your face.