While dark circles are common and perfectly natural, they can make you look older and feel self-conscious. If you’d like to reduce the appearance of your puffy under-eyes, keep reading. We explain how to get rid of dark circles, what causes them and the lifestyle changes that help you to achieve more youthful and radiant-looking eyes.
What Are Dark Circles?
Dark circles appear when excess melanin is produced around the eyes, causing hyperpigmentation, or when dark veins become more visible below the skin. Depending on your skin tone, these circles can appear purple, brown or even black.
But why do they appear?
What Causes Dark Circles?
There are many reasons why you might have dark circles under your eyes.
- Age: As you age, the collagen levels in skin naturally deplete, causing it to thin. Blood vessels then become more visible, leading to the appearance of dark circles.
- Sun Exposure: UV rays can damage the skin, resulting in a loss of elasticity. This can cause eye bags and dark circles to form.
- Dehydration: When the body is dehydrated, skin begins to look dull and pale, making dark veins under the eyes more visible.
- Sleep deprivation: Sleep deprivation also makes skin look dull and pale, enhancing dark circles.
- Excess eye strain: When you’re tired, blood vessels dilate and blood flow increases, causing dark circles to form.
But don’t worry! We explain how to remove dark circles below.
How To Get Rid Of Dark Circles
Try these 5 top tips to help reduce the appearance of dark circles.
Use a gentle makeup remover
To avoid harming the fragile skin under your eyes when washing off makeup, always use a gentle makeup remover.
We recommend our gentle yet effective Foaming Micellar Cleansing Water. Blending soothing Rose Water and nourishing Argan Oil with micelles, it gently lifts away makeup, without irritating or damaging the skin.
Pump once or twice onto a cotton or reusable pad, then gently wipe across the face and neck to lift away impurities and makeup.