An at home facial is the perfect way to make yourself feel pampered and preened. So, dim the lights, lights some candles, and play some relaxing music. From teaching you how to steam your face to finding an exfoliator for sensitive skin, we show you everything you need to do a facial at home.
How To Do A Facial At Home
Step 1: Double Cleanse
The first step of any good DIY facial at home is a refreshing cleanse.
- Start by removing makeup using an oil-based cleanser, like our Melt Away Cleansing Oil. As it’s massaged into the skin, it transforms into a nourishing milk that melts away makeup.
- Next, use a gel cleanser to wash away dirt and impurities, and remove any remaining traces of makeup. Our Moisture Burst Facial Wash combines Jojoba Beads and moisturising Almond Oil with gentle cleansing actives to remove remaining makeup and impurities, leaving skin looking glowy, soft and hydrated.
Step 2: Steam
Steaming your face is an essential part of any at home facial. It helps to open the pores, allowing products used in your facial treatment to penetrate deeper into the skin and cleansing away any residue of dirt and impurities.
How to steam your face
To prep the skin for next steps, steam the face by pouring boiling hot water into a large bowl. Carefully drape a towel over your head and lean face down over the bowl. Stay like this for 10 minutes to open the pores and loosen the clogged dirt.
Step 3: Exfoliate
Your pores now open, it’s time to exfoliate! Exfoliating is integral to the success of any good at home facial. It scrubs away dead skin cells, promotes skin cell renewal, and allows the nutrients in your face mask and moisturiser to better penetrate the skin.
Our Sanctuary Spa Complexion Perfecting Radiance Exfoliator is formulated with Grape Seed and ultra-fine Apricot Granules to exfoliate and refine. A blend of revitalising Papaya, Pineapple, and Pumpkin make this a great exfoliator for sensitive skin too; your skin will be left feeling soft and looking radiant. Massage into the face for 60 seconds, then rinse to reveal a healthy-looking glow.
Step 4: Apply toner
Toning is the easiest way to soothe, brighten and replenish the skin after cleansing and exfoliating.
Our favourite? The Sanctuary Spa Daily Glow Radiance Tonic! Formulated with 5% Glycolic Acid, soothing Licorice, brightening Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), and conditioning Witch Hazel, it helps to exfoliate pores, accelerate cell renewal, and even skin tone for a naturally brighter, more radiant-looking complexion.
Plus, skin will be perfectly primed to absorb the nutrients in your face mask and moisturiser.
Step 5: Apply a face mask
An at home facial should focus on hydrating the skin and targeting your biggest skin concerns. That’s where a face mask comes in! Tailored to your skin type, it can help improve the look and feel of your complexion.
- Dry Skin: If you struggle with dry skin, we recommend using our leave-on Glacial Splash Hydrating Face Mask. Formulated with ice cap water, Vitamin B3 and Alpine mineral, this face mask for dry skin leaves the complexion feeling refreshed and looking radiant.
- Oily Skin: If you suffer from oily skin, we recommend using our Sanctuary Spa 5 Minute Thermal Charcoal Detox Mask. Blending Kaolin Clay with Charcoal, our face mask for oily skin absorbs excess oils from the skin and helps to rebalance sebum production.
- Dull Skin: If you have dull-looking skin, try our Sanctuary Spa 1 Minute Daily Glow Mask. This glowing skin mask is packed full of radiance-boosting Kakadu Plum, nutrient-rich Rosemary Extract and Vitamin C to leave skin looking instantly brighter.
Step 6: Apply an extra facial treatment
When giving yourself a facial at home, it’s worth adding a few extra steps to your skincare routine that you might not do every day. Using a serum is a great way to boost the skincare benefits of your DIY facial. We’ve got two hard-working serums to choose from. Alternatively, you can use both to really get the most out of your at home facial.
Our Power Peptide Awakening Eye Serum contains hydrating Hyaluronic Acid and stimulating Caffeine. To reduce the appearance of wrinkles and dark circles and transform tired eyes, gently pat the product under the eye area with your ring finger.
The perfect facial treatment for delivering a nourishing dose of hydration, our Hyaluronic Wonder Oil Serum protects against pollution while promoting healthy regeneration of skin. Simply pat the product into the skin and allow to absorb. Alternatively, add a few drops of serum to your usual moisturiser to supercharge it.
Step 7: Apply moisturiser
To finish your at home facial, seal in the wonderful nutrients from your face mask and protect skin throughout the day, apply a nourishing moisturiser.
Our Supercharged Hylauronic Face and Neck Crème infuses the skin with hydrating Hyaluronic Acid, plumping Matrixyl Synthe’ 6™ and nourishing Shea Butter to provide 24 hours of moisture. Expect skin to feel youthful, firmer, more hydrated!
Boasting all the benefits of an expensive spa facial treatment without the eyewatering cost, an at home facial is a fantastic way to take some time for yourself while looking after your skin. For more tips on pampering yourself from the comfort of your own home, check out some of our best home spa ideas.
Home Spa Ideas: How To Create The Perfect Home Spa Day
A guide to all the massages, facials and ambience you need to get pampered and preened.
6 Ways To Relieve Stress
Discover how to reduce stress and promote a relaxed body and mind.
A Simple Morning Skincare Routine
Take a look at our simple 3 step morning skin care routine for daily radiance.