Celebrated as a ‘wonder ingredient’, Hyaluronic Acid is the secret to firm, plump and glowing skin. It’s often found in a range of skincare essentials, from serums and moisturisers to masks and scrubs – but what are the benefits of Hyaluronic Acid and what exactly does it do? Here’s everything you need to know.
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic Acid is a molecule naturally found in the skin that helps cells to retain moisture. It boasts a texture similar to gel and is able to hold up to a thousand times its weight in water, keeping skin plump and hydrated.
Therapist’s Tip: Despite its name, Hyaluronic Acid isn’t an AHA or BHA, like Glycolic, Lactic or Salicylic Acids, and it won’t exfoliate the skin. It’s simply a powerful hydrator.
What Are The Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid?
- Deeply Hydrating: As it’s able to retain over a thousand times its weight in water, Hyaluronic Acid is an incredible hydrator, drawing moisture into the deep layers of the skin.
- Retaining Moisture: As it’s applied to the skin, Hyaluronic Acid absorbs moisture from its surroundings and actively drives that moisture into skin cells, locking in hydration.
- Improving Skin Texture: Hyaluronic Acid conditions the skin, keeping it visibly firm, smooth and radiant. It also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Why Should I Use Hyaluronic Acid Skincare?
Just like Collagen and Elastin, the amount of naturally-occurring Hyaluronic Acid in our bodies decreases after the age of thirty. Consequently, moisture levels in the skin deplete, causing fine lines and wrinkles to appear. Adding Hyaluronic Acid skincare into your routine will help maintain healthy levels of moisture, keeping skin soft, smooth and hydrated.
Who Can Benefit From Hyaluronic Acid Skincare?
All skin types can enjoy the benefits of Hyaluronic Acid and its moisture-boosting properties. However, it will benefit dry and ageing skin most.
The Best Hyaluronic Acid Skincare Products
The Serum: Hyaluronic Wonder Oil Serum
This hyaluronic acid serum boasts two phases that work together to improve the skin’s appearance. The oil phase contains a nourishing blend of Moringa, Jojoba and Pomegranate oils, while the serum phase combines restoring Red Rice Bio-Ferment, plumping Hyaluronic Acid and antioxidant-rich Pomegranate Seed Oil. This combination works to:
- Boost elasticity to reduce the appearance of fine line and wrinkles
- Provide 24-hour hydration to plump, soften and smooth
- Protect against the effects of pollution
Apply onto clean, dry skin by gently sweeping over the face and neck, then massage the serum into the skin.